Just how early any part of the present structure existed may never be accurately determined. In the records of the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities at Boston is a letter, dated Dec. 16, 1919, in which it is stated that "In 1797 part of the house, even then old, was moved across the street to its present location and there added to." Jeremiah Gould, in his "Annals of Sharon" mentioned above, says "Cobb's Tavern was built by Jonathon Cobb about 1800" but this is patently an error since Cobb acquired it from Elijah Fisher in 1797 and the latter is believed to have operated it as a tavern for some years. It is probable that Jonathon Cobb enlarged the structure considerably about 1800.
It is easier to follow the transfer of the land from one to another than to trace the history of the building itself, for in earlier days, buildings were not usually mentioned in deeds relating to the transfer of real property as they are today, since the land was taken to be the only permanent goods involved in such transactions. According to the records of the Sharon Assessors of Taxes, the Cobb's Tavern land originally was owned by Richard Hixon, who received lt as a grant from the King of England. Edgar M. Hixon, great-grandson of Richard and at one time one of the Assessors of the town, substantiated this from hls own family's records.
The present owner has made a search of the earliest deeds on file at the Old Court House in Boston. This search disclosed (Bock 40, Page 2M1), that a large tract of land in the general area was owned jointly by "Richard Hixon, yeoman," and his brother "John Hixon, bricklayer," both of Dorchester, and that . on April 17, 1725, "ln the 11th year of the reign of our Sovereign Lord, George, King of Britan," the brothers agreed to partition this land between them. The transfer was certified by a Justice of the peace on Feb. 7, 1726. Where and how the two brothers acquired the land in the first place is not stated, but we may reasonably assume they came into possession of it through the land grant referred to in the Sharon records.
Richard appears to have retained all of his share of the land until April 4, 1782, when he deeded over two lots to his son, Richard Hixon, Jr. The son paid 80 pounds for a 27-acre lot (Book 13A, Page 14) and paid another 20 pounds for a 2 acre lot (Book 13A, Page 117).
Richard Jr. married Mary Stickney, and at his death at the age of 45, his wife inherited the property. She re-married and her name became Eaton. The next transfer was on June 24, 1791, from Jabez Eaton to Ellzah Fisher, and on March 1, 1797, Fisher conveyed the property to Jonathon Cobb.
Jonathon was the first of the tavern-keepers In the Cobb family, but, judglng from many reports, Fisher conducted a tavern on the premises before Cobb took over. The evidence would indicate, however, that the building was a small one when Fisher had it, and that Cobb expanded it progressively as the traffic on the Old Bay Road increased.Skip to Page...
A Tribute to Rising Star Lodges' Fallen Brother, U.S. Army Captain Anthony Palermo, Jr.